I researched ads on the Chartboost Blog and came up with this masterpiece.
- My game has 2 “characters” so I featured them both.
- Made sure everyone knows this is a FREE game.
- App Store badge.
Campaign Logic (My own)
Caribbean Catch was my entry into a Reskinning Tournament, which is judged by downloads in the US Store, getting the most downloads for dollars spent was a primary consideration (surprised?). I also wanted to see the results over several days to determine if there were daily trends. I chose a very low Cost Per Install rate which limited my daily impressions.
Targeting was very narrow, limited to US gamers within the same 3 App Store listing categories. My thinking was to acquire gamers who might stick around and tap through some of my ads as well. Of course I limited the devices to iPhone users running 5.0 & higher, matching my game’s requirements.
The ad ran 5 days, spanning Friday – Wednesday. I had a Click Through Rate of 12.18% with a 2% install rate, ECPM was $1.35. Monday was the best day with CTR = 13.12%, IR = 2.6% & ECPM = $2.30. Friday was the worst in all stats.
What I Learned (I think)
My sample size is very small, but I think there’s enough data to formulate a few ideas for future projects.
- I’m not sure how good/bad my stats are. My gut tells me the CTR is pretty good, but the IR is a lower than expected. Now this could be because some games were spamming ads & I got a lot of “false” clicks, but it could also mean I need to improve my icon, screenshots, & description to increase conversions. I guess it never hurts to improve them, so that’s a priority for all future ad campaigns.
- The competition for ads seemed to be more intense on the weekend. I’m not ready to give up on those days, but I don’t think targeting them for a blast would be a great idea. Which also reminds me to check on release dates of major games before scheduling a campaign.
- Monday was the best day by far, Tuesday ran second. Good days to focus on if possible?
- Low bid, limited impressions worked for me in this case. In the future I think investing my full budget within a 24hr period might be the best option, as long as I have a good target day. I should be able to determine the effectiveness of the campaign much easier than spreading it out.
Feel free to share thoughts.